Bee Pollen Chocolate Cake – Katie’s birthday surprise.
We made this cake for Katie’s birthday last June. It was a surprise celebration at work and it turns out great. We have this idea in mind for some time and were happy to use unsuspecting colleges at work as our tasting group. An idea for Bee Pollen Chocolate Cake was a brave experiment but the results have exceeded our expectations
Bee Pollen Chocolate Cake – Easy going treat.
It tastes like a brownie but it is much more fluffy and what is most important it is much healthier. You can add chocolate frosting but even without it, this healthy treat is absolutely delicious. A dash of coffee and pinch of nutmeg will elevate dark chocolate flavour furthermore. Also, You can top it with bee pollen and sea salt for extra crunch and balance the sweetness of this wonderful cake.
75 g of Buckwheat Honey
75 g of brown raw sugar
113 g of coconut oil
1 large egg
1 teaspoon of vanilla beans
2 tablespoons of cold strong coffee
113 g of sourdough starter
200 g of Mungoswells organic flower
½ tsp baking soda
50 g of cocoa powder
½ tsp of salt
0.5 tsp of nutmeg
70 g of dark chocolate or crushed nuts
- Firstly preheat oven to 180C
- Prepare baking tray 20 cm or similar and lay it with parchment
- In a large bowl mix with hand mixer honey, sugar and coconut oil until sugar completely dissolves.
- Add starter, egg, vanilla and coffee and mix it well
- In a separate bowl sift flour, cocoa, soda and nutmeg.
- Mix everything together and add chocolate or nuts.
- Transfer the batter to the tray and bake for 30-40 min until dry inside.
- Finally cool on the rack.
For chocolate frosting melt 100g of dark chocolate with 20 g of milk, 2 egg yolks and 5 g of honey.